Sunday, June 20, 2004

Storyboard your day tomorrow

I just got back from a conference, and all my daily routines are shot. My desk has a six inch pile of papers and books covering every surface. I haven't exercised since last Wednesday. At the conference I ate dessert at every meal. I could go on. And, I got out of my morning and evening prayer routine, something that helps me stay on an even keel spiritually.

Tomorrow, I want to get back on track and resume my daily prayer time, my daily exercise, and tidy up my desk, send follow up emails and so on.

It's difficult to format this blog the way I could do a storyboard on a piece of paper. If I were do to this on a piece of paper, I'd fold it in half lengthwise to make two columns. The left-hand column is my script for the day. Label it "SCRIPT". The right hand column are my pictures, or how I'll envision myself going about my goals that I've scripted for myself.

My script for tomorrow:
6:15 a.m. dress in clothes laid out the night before
6:30 a.m. morning prayer
7:30 a.m. blog morning prayer
7:45 a.m. breakfast
8:00 a.m. post question on Word Guild discussion list
8:15-8:45 a.m. organize papers on desk, think about Master's Artist blog post
8:45-9:00 a.m. send emails to Kelly and Lloyd to find out about story deadlines on Artic bishops
9:00-9:30 email contacts made at Write! Canada conference
9:30-9:45 do more desk organizing or filing if necessary
9:45 a.m. thank you notes
10:00 a.m. prepare grocery list
10:15 a.m. post on Master's Artist blog
11:00 a.m. do exercise video, then go to club for a swim
12:45 p.m. eat a healthful lunch
1:15 p.m. edit "The Defilers" chapters one and two, and take a look at proposal
4:00 p.m. grocery shop
5:30 p.m. prepare supper
5:45 p.m. blog evening prayer
6:00 p.m. eat supper and clean up
7:00 p.m. go for a bike ride
8:00 p.m. jump into Asher Lev discussion on Dave Long's blog


I won't necessarily stay right on these strict time limits, but I have a lot of little tasks to get done and I could fly off in too many different directions if I don't list them. I may have not allowed enough time. The Storyboard is meant to serve me, not be a slave driver. If I write down these goals, then I don't have to keep track of them in my head. And it's amazing how merely writing the goals down energizes and focuses me.

Now, in my column opposite those goals, which I've tried to make Specific, Time-Limited, Originating with me (i.e. I choose to do them), Realistic and Yearned-for (they fit in with my passion to be the productive, balanced, positive person I wish to see myself as.
I call these STORY goals.

Now, I'll print off this list and mentally rehearse it, seeing myself doing all theses things with a big smile on my face, just loving how productive and organized I am.

For tomorrow's pictures, I won't write an affirmation for each goal, just the ones that I think will be a little tougher to do.

I will try to write each affirmation in as detailed, positive and visual a way as I can.

Here goes for tomorrow:

I love waking early and reading the Bible before I read or do anything else, quieting my mind, listening to the birds chirping outside, expecting God to speak to me through Scripture. I love the peace and sense of communion that comes from sitting in His presence and offering my day to Him.

I love organizing my papers and files, efficiently handling each piece of paper only once, taking care of minor details in a timely fashion. I love staying up to date with my financial records.

I feel great when I eat healthy salads and lots of vegetables and fruit, and limit the portion sizes of the meat and cheese I eat, and eat whole grains. I feel great when I eat brown rice and enjoy the colors and time for prayer and meditation on God's word as I cut up fresh vegetables.

I feel great when I plan my grocery shopping list and a menu for the week because shopping becomes so much faster and easier, and so does meal preparation the rest of the week. I love feeling on top of all the things I need to do so that I can make the most of my time and have fun while I accomplish my goals.

I feel great when I exercise vigorously for at least 40 minutes a day and take time to stretch and lengthen my spine and breathe. I love feeling strong and flexible and full of zest and the feeling of having great posture no matter what I'm doing.

How about posting your storyboard for tomorrow?












2 Comments:

At June 20, 2004 at 8:50 PM, Blogger siouxsiepoet said...

keeping it simple: tomorrow i will edit two chapters of the nf book, and two chapters of the f book, i will edit two parts of my own manuscript. i enjoy editing and am invigorated by the chance to contribute to the success of others. i wake up early, do my morning pages before cleaning my bathrooms. then i will do my editing as a reward. i will cook healthy meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner for my fmaily. i will look into my child's eyes when she is talking to me. i will turn off the computer by 1pm and read to my child. i love being at home with my family.

i will commit to times on another occasion, this is brief, but i am tired and must go to bed. (after i rehearse my storyboard, i hope i'm not up all night!)

 
At June 21, 2004 at 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is off the top of my head. I'll need more time to plan things in the future.

11 a.m. -- go to post office

noon -- post my Bible study answers to the blog Sue and I made for our study.
12:30 p.m. -- do Bible study with Sue via AOL IM

6:30 p.m. -- take family portrait at church

OK, that's not much, but that's what I know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home